|2016 Veterans' Wall Application|
Veterna's Wall click to enlarge
History Of The Veterans Wall
On October 20, 2014, Voorhees Township began a new tradition with the unveiling of the Voorhees Township Veterans Wall of Honor. The Wall, which is located in the Voorhees Municipal Building at the Voorhees Town Center, honors residents and members of their immediate family who have served in the United States Military, whether during peacetime or war.
The response to the Wall was remarkable. More than 220 veterans submitted applications and are memorialized on the Wall. Voorhees Township is very proud to honor these men and women, most of whom were only in their teens when they served, for the sacrifices they made in leaving home, family, and friends to give of themselves to our country.
The Voorhees Veterans Wall is unique in that it offers more than just a name. Each veteran is honored with a plaque that includes his/her name, branch of service, date and place of service, awards/medals received, a photo, and if desired, a brief personal note about their service.
Voorhees plans to continue with this tradition and is now accepting applications for 2015.
Eligibility is open to the following persons:
- Current residents who served in the US military and have been honorably discharged.
- Residents’ immediate family members who served in the US military and have been honorably discharged. Immediate family member means: Parent, spouse, sibling or child.
- Former residents who lived in Voorhees at the time of entry into the military and have been honorably discharged.
There is no cost to the veteran or the veteran’s family for this tribute and no tax dollars are used to create the Wall. The Wall is made possible through private donations and volunteers.
The 2015 application deadline is July 31, 2015. Plaques will be unveiled at a ceremony in the fall. All applicants will receive a notice advising them when the plaques will be presented for viewing.
Should you have questions or need additional information, please contact Jeanette Schelberg at (609) 868 - 6338 or via email at: email@example.com
The Voorhees Township Veterans Wall of Honor is located in the Voorhees Township Municipal Building, 2400 Voorhees Town Center, Voorhees, NJ 08043.
The municipal building is located in the Voorhees Town Center Mall, (formerly known as the Echelon Mall.) Visitors may view the wall during normal business hours, Monday through Friday from 8 AM to 5 PM. Visitors may also view the Wall in the evening during the times of regularly scheduled Committee, Planning Board and Zoning Board meetings.
Visitors may access the Wall by two entrances:
- Enter the street level door of the municipal building. Take the elevator or stairs to the second floor. Walk down the hallway, past the municipal offices, to the end of the hall and turn left. The Wall will be on your right.
- Enter the Mall from any entrance or mall store. Go to the second floor. Walk to the entrance of the municipal building, which is directly across from Macy’s. Go through the double glass doors and immediately turn right. The Wall will be on your right.
Letters are placed on the left side of each Wall and numbers are placed across the top row of plaques on each Wall, indicating the columns and rows.
An alphabetical index of Veterans’ names hangs on the right side of the first Wall. Visitors who are looking to view a particular veteran may look up the veteran’s last name. Next to the name are the Wall #, row and column of where the veteran is located.